PDA

View Full Version : Hockey music history research

funkmasterg
05-12-2006, 08:32 PM
I don't know the answer to this one -- but maybe our readers can help:

What sports team -- hockey or otherwise -- was the first to use pre-recorded music at their games?

waddy
05-13-2006, 05:00 PM
:confused: try google lol

Rodpie
05-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Howdy.

This is only anecdotal, but I remember a news story from the 80's when vancouver was ,if not the 1st, among the first teams to drop the organist in favor of recorded music.

I remember that I was appalled.
Now I do it.
Rodpie

sepoe
08-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Whitch team was the first to use a Goal horn? And when did they start using Goal Horns?? Qaouse when you watch old videos fram early 90´s late 80´s with Gretzky and the guys, there are no horns...
Tell me when it was invented to the NHL :p

DJDuker
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Goal horn was probably the Chicago Blackhawks at the Old Chicago Stadium with the truck horn the would shake the building in the late 80's maybe early 90's. I may be wrong.

djvito
12-06-2007, 09:35 PM
The Chicago Blackhawks were the first team to install a goal horn. The horn was installed in January of 83. The horn that was at the Old Stadium and now at the United Center was manufactured by Kahlenberg. It's a marine horn. The horn has four brass trumpets pointing in 4 different directions and is mounted at center ice under the score board. Most horns you hear in NHL arena's are marine horns by Kahlenburg. Train horns are made by Airchime, or Leslie. Airchime is based out of Aldergrove, British Columbia. Hope this helps also check out Kahlenberg's website you can hear samples there.

www.kahlenberg.com

RebelsHockey
12-08-2007, 04:54 PM
The Chicago Blackhawks were the first team to install a goal horn. The horn was installed in January of 83. The horn that was at the Old Stadium and now at the United Center was manufactured by Kahlenberg. It's a marine horn. The horn has four brass trumpets pointing in 4 different directions and is mounted at center ice under the score board. Most horns you hear in NHL arena's are marine horns by Kahlenburg. Train horns are made by Airchime, or Leslie. Airchime is based out of Aldergrove, British Columbia. Hope this helps also check out Kahlenberg's website you can hear samples there.

www.kahlenberg.com

And I do believe the sabres were the 2nd, with the old Auditorium horn.

djvito
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes, I believe you're correct. Although, Detroit was in there aswell with that old single tone Airchime K-3 model if you recall. My grandfather used to build horns and restore old locomotive horns. He had quite the collection. It's through him that I got our locomotive horn for our Hockey Team. Check it out on you tube under Ridge Meadows Flames if you're interested. That one is a frieght train and completely restored. Sounds just like new..

RebelsHockey
12-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Yes, I believe you're correct. Although, Detroit was in there aswell with that old single tone Airchime K-3 model if you recall. My grandfather used to build horns and restore old locomotive horns. He had quite the collection. It's through him that I got our locomotive horn for our Hockey Team. Check it out on you tube under Ridge Meadows Flames if you're interested. That one is a frieght train and completely restored. Sounds just like new..

The Horn detroit has now, has been around since 95, from 92-95 they had some high pitched thing that sounded like a air horn someone in the crowd would blow off.

renaissancemanab
12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
So now that the first horn and first recorded music have been covered, I was hoping you guys could settle an argument.

I had a gig as the first organist for our college hockey team, much to the chagrin of some fans. Some claimed that an organ had no place at hockey games and was instead an instrument for baseball. So far, I've found that the first instance of an organ at a baseball game is 1941. When/where was the first hockey organ? Any other opinions on this?

funkmasterg
12-22-2008, 10:33 PM
First permanent organ in a hockey arena was in 1929 at Chicago Stadium:
http://www.catoe.org/barton.html